Mental Health Resources
- Suicide Prevention - 202-994-5300 (press option 2)
The Student Health Center (SHC) understands that suicide can affect anyone, at any time, for any reason. We also believe suicide is preventable. If you are thinking about suicide call us now - 202-994-5300 (press option 2). We have counselors available 24 hours a day, every day.
If you or someone you know is an imminent danger to themselves or someone else and you are on campus, call the GW Emergency Services by dialing 202-994-6111 or, if you are off-campus, call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.
- Care Network
The CARE Network connects the dots regarding care across George Washington University (GW) for students who need support. We focus on information sharing between appropriate university departments and identifying who is the main point of contact for a student of concern. To help these students we use a university-wide, cross-functional network of professionals who meet on a regular basis to review, discuss and provide appropriate resources.
The students are identified through multiple sources and assigned a case manager who works with them one-on-one to connect to the appropriate support systems.
If you are concerned about a student, submit a CARE Network Report as soon as possible.
- Emotional Well-Being Resources
- GW Resiliency & Well-Being Center
- GW Resources for Living Link to MedHub
- Mistreatment Reporting
- Office of Professional & Respectful Learning
- Policy on Resident Counseling Services
- In response to feedback from you - our residents and fellows, the SMHS has recently updated our account with Talkspace! Moving forward you can send text, video, and pictures messages to your therapist and schedule four 30-minute live video appointments per month. (Per Month is calculated from the first time you use your live video session) This additional service comes at no cost to you, the SMHS residents and fellows.
- New Users: Please read the instructions before you register for Talkspace. Then go to Talkspace and input your GW email address (do not use your MFA email address). After you have finished registering and have been matched with your therapist you have the opportunity to schedule an optional 10-minute live video introduction session to get you started.
- Current Users: If you have already signed up for Talkspace, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to get transferred over to the new plan which includes the added functionality of 4 (30 minutes) live video sessions per month.
Talkspace Frequently Asked Questions