M.D. Program & Admissions
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences seeks to graduate “Physician Citizens” committed to local, national, and global public service through excellent patient care, leadership, advocacy for change and innovation, and scholarly inquiry. This goal will be achieved through a robust and flexible curriculum and by leveraging the School’s unique position as part of a major university located in the heart of the nation’s capital, surrounded by major institutions and leading domestic and international health authorities.
To meet this goal, the M.D. program is dedicated to admitting a diverse group of students who will be prepared to meet the broad and disparate needs of patients and their communities.
The committee will review applications to identify those individuals best suited by personal attributes, experiences, and academic achievement to become the Physician Citizens of tomorrow. In so doing, the following characteristics will be considered essential for the successful applicant:'
- A commitment to lifelong learning
- Altruism, integrity, respect, maturity, reliability, dependability, compassion, and professionalism
- Sustained and effective leadership
- A commitment to advocacy and innovation to achieve change
- Personal balance, self awareness and resilience in the face of challenges
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well with others
- Sustained and meaningful service to others through clinical or non-clinical experiences, particularly those that develop an awareness of the unique challenges of a career in medicine
- Experiences with diverse populations that demonstrate sensitivity to others and the ability to work collaboratively in a team or community environment
- Academic Achievement
- Success in the biomedical and social sciences essential to the practice of medicine
- Scholarly curiosity, including research or educational achievements in health services, public or global health, health policy, clinical care, humanities, or basic biomedical sciences
Application Process Interviews & Decisions
Joint Programs Frequently Asked Questions
Learn about our NEW Regional Medical Campus
Follow The George Washington University M.D. Program - Office of Admissions for the latest information from the M.D. Program Office of Admissions.
G.W.’s educational facilities are at the forefront of academic medicine and give G.W. students a decided edge over their counterparts in programs at other institutions. The Clinical Learning and Simulation Skills (CLASS) Center provides one of the most innovative educational environments in the nation. Visit the CLASS website to learn more.
Advising & Wellness
Medical education is a fascinating and remarkable privilege that you have now achieved. It is your gateway to a fulfilling career in an honorable profession. But, it is also a lengthy and challenging academic and personal journey, that can at times test your endurance and sense of life balance. Visit the Advising Programs for Medical Student website to learn more.