Elective & Research Rotations

GW Residents who wish to pursue elective rotations or research at a non-affiliated institution must have approval from the Associate Dean for GME. Residents must complete and submit an Elective Rotation Form or a Research Rotation Form. 

The rotation must provide an educational experience that is not available at GW. It is financially advantageous to the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) to provide training “in-house” to its residents, if possible. When a resident rotates to a non-affiliated institution, Medicare does not reimburse GW for the resident services while, in most cases, GW continues to pay the resident salary and benefits. Residents are not covered by the SMHS self-insurance trust for malpractice unless the rotation is approved by the Office of Graduate Medical Education and communicated to the University’s Risk Management Office.