The availability of Shared Equipment for discovery and translational research is widely recognized as critical to maintaining an outstanding research environment. Many pieces of equipment, while indispensable for multiple extramurally funded research projects at the SMHS, are too expensive for a single lab to purchase. These pieces of equipment may be required for specialized techniques or for adding new dimensions to a project proposal. Thus, the availability of Shared Equipment is essential to facilitate new avenues of research, leading to funding, publications, and cutting-edge training of students and fellows. The purpose of this application is to support the purchase of new equipment or the repair/upgrade of existing Shared Equipment.
SMHS research priorities are to make discoveries and improve clinical care by accelerating research excellence, enhancing innovation, and advancing clinical translation. Shared Equipment is defined as capital equipment that: (i) builds research capacity in alignment with SMHS goals, (ii) leads to publications and grant applications, and (iii) is shared between labs and departments at SMHS. Capital equipment is defined as equipment that equals or exceeds a unit cost of $5,000 and has a useful life of more than one year. The unit cost of an item includes everything paid in order to receive the item and place it in service, including shipping, handling, and installation costs.
Applications will be scored according to the following:
- Extent to which the requested equipment will advance research at SMHS.
- Adequate justification for the equipment.
- Clear evidence of major users/projects.
- Appropriate technical expertise to effectively use the equipment.
The Shared Equipment Committee does not make purchase decisions. Rather, after careful evaluation of an application, the committee will make a recommendation to the SMHS Research Committee and the Vice President and Dean of Research. All decisions regarding shared equipment purchases will come from the Dean’s Office.
For any questions, please contact Ed Seto at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials to request new shared equipment:
- Provide scientific justification for how the equipment will add value to the SMHS research priorities and be in line with the SMHS Strategic Plan.
- Provide information on the investigators who will use the equipment and the projects that will be supported. Please include signed letters of support that explain how multiple current SMHS labs will benefit from the equipment.
- Describe how technical knowledge will be shared and disseminated for proper use of the equipment. Also, describe who will oversee the equipment to ensure its proper use and maintenance, provide training, and set up the user records.
- Provide an estimated budget with supporting documentation, including price quotes, service contracts, etc.
Application Materials to repair or improve an existing equipment:
- Provide scientific justification for how the equipment adds value to the SMHS research priorities and is in line with the SMHS Strategic Plan.
- Provide information on the equipment usage and how many labs share the equipment. Please include signed letters of support and a user sign-in log record.
- Provide information about projects that were supported with this equipment and resulting publications and funding applications.
- Describe how technical knowledge is shared and disseminated for proper use of the equipment. Also, describe who will oversee the equipment to ensure its proper use and maintenance, provide training, and set up the user records.
- Provide budget costs, including repair costs, service contracts, etc.
Application Link: https://redcap.link/New-Repaired-Equipment-Request