This award is given annually to the GWU SMHS researcher or researchers who have made the “most outstanding contribution to cancer research during the past twelve months”. The Committee interprets cancer research as including laboratory studies, clinical, behavioral, and population- based research focused on novel mechanisms to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. The Committee considers “outstanding contributions” to include the individuals’ own research and efforts of the individual to expand cancer research and activities throughout the institution.
This award provides research funding for one year from the Elaine H. Snyder Endowment. These funds are approximately $50,000.
- Faculty member of GW SMHS (including CNMC and MFA faculty) who in the judgment of the nominator has made a significant contribution to cancer research at GW-SMHS during the previous 12 months.
- Performed a body of research at GW
- Scholarly achievements in the field of cancer research measured by publications, funded research, professional awards and significance of contributions to their discipline.
- Proposed use of funds, and capacity for future contributions to the field of cancer research.
- This award cannot be given to the same person within a 5-year period.
Please submit the following nomination materials to materials to Sara VanDommelen, email at email@example.com by July 1, 2023.
- One nomination letter focusing on the candidates research track record and potential
- Candidate’s research impact statement focusing on how their scholarly achievements have contributed to the field of cancer in the past 12-months (1 page)
- Candidate’s curriculum vitae
- Summary of ongoing research and plans for utilization of the Snyder funds
The recipient of this award will be honored at the Faculty Awards Ceremony in September
Previous Recipients of the Award
- 2022* Wenge Zhu (Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine)
- 2021* Dr. Rohan Fernandes (Medicine)
- 2019* Dr. Lopa Mishra (Surgery)
- 2018* Dr. Alex Tzatsos (Anatomy & Cell Biology)
- 2016 Dr. Catherine Bollard (CNMC Pediatrics; MITM)
- 2015 Dr. Javad Nazarian (CNMC Pediatric Oncology)
- 2014 Dr. Yang Liu (Cancer Immunology)
- 2013 Dr. Wenge Zhu (Biochemistry & Molecular Biology)
- *Ineligible for this year’s Snyder Award due to receiving award within last 5 years