First year medical students at GW are invited to apply for the W.T. Gill Summer Fellowship stipends for select research internships at The George Washington University, Children's National Health System and the Washington DC Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Faculty from GW and CNHS are invited to submit research opportunities for a medical student here:
Please see the Program Description and Selection Criteria for requirements. Projects must be a minimum of 8 weeks in length and objectives must be achievable within that time frame. Clinical research must comply with GW Human Subjects research guidelines and have IRB and/or IACUC approval (if applicable) before the student begins the internship.
- Faculty will submit research opportunities by Dec. 1.
- Proposals are provided as the "GW Faculty Proposals for Medical Student Summer Research Packet" to GW medical students in December.
- Students review the project descriptions and contact faculty preceptors.
- Faculty interview at least three students and then select one student for the project, providing an offer letter to the student (on letterhead) addressing specific information about the project, supervision structure, and the student's responsibilities.
- The selected student completes the student application by March 1.
Students may also propose a Gill internship project with additional GW or CNHS faculty, as long as the faculty and project meet the same expectations.
Fellowship recipients must provide an abstract and a PowerPoint poster from the project at the end of the summer. These may be adapted for use in Fusion magazine, GW or CNHS Research Days (held in April each year), or subsequent professional meetings and research manuscripts.
Apply for Student Funding
Work with your faculty research mentor to develop the proposal into a summer fellowship application.
Use your faculty proposal and letter for:
External summer fellowship opportunities
- External national summer fellowships
- External diversity-targeted national fellowships
- External national year-out fellowships
Note that applications to external fellowships require that you submit an Intent to Submit a Proposal
- External Medical student opportunities at other institutions
- Diversity Supplement to your mentor’s NIH grant
Medical students can apply for a W.T. Gill Fellowship here:
Office of Research
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20037
- Gill Fellowship Program Description and Selection Criteria (PDF)
- Gill Fellowship Award Confirmation form (PDF)
- Investigator Guidance: Student Initiated Research, Office of Human Research
- Laboratory Safety
- Biosafety and Bloodborne Pathogen Training
- Himmelfarb Library Resources:
- Article about retrospective studies
- Video: How to write a medical paper
- Instructions on How to Write a Paper for Publication in a Medical Journal (IUPUI)
- How to write a medical original article: Advice from an Editor
- Video: How to Write a Medical Research Paper (Duke)
- Scientific Writing: Sections of a Paper