Active Status faculty appointments are of four types:
- Limited Service;
- Visiting; or
Regular faculty appointments are made to individuals fully devoted to full-time faculty work at the University or one of its affiliates (Medical Faculty Associates; Children’s National Health System; VA; NIH). Regular faculty appointments are made to those who make substantial and sustained contributions to the scholarly mission of the School in the areas of research, education, service and, if appropriate, patient care. Appointment may be made on the tenure track or non-tenure track.
Many clinicians, teachers, and researchers who are important to the mission of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences hold faculty appointments that are not “full time” (Regular). All of these non-tenure track faculty categories (Limited Service; Research; Visiting, or Special Service) are described in the SMHS Bylaws and the GWU Faculty Code.
Secondary Appointments may also be made to a faculty member holding a regular, active-status appointment in one department or school in another department or school for a specified term. A secondary appointment is recommended by the Chair of the department interested in granting the secondary appointment.
Faculty are reviewed annually by the Department Chair for promotion and/or tenure consideration. This is done through the annual report process in conjunction with the faculty member. It is important that faculty on the tenure track stay on point in their academic progress; meeting with the Chair every year is critical to helping make sure there are no surprises when it's time for a promotion or a tenure decision.
This section outlines the School of Medicine and Health Sciences criteria for Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure.
Promotion and Tenure Procedures and Deadlines
|Tenure: Regular Faculty||Friday, November 13, 2020|
|Promotion: Regular & Research Faculty||Friday, December 4, 2020|
|Promotion: Adjunct & Clinical Faculty||Monday, March 1, 2021|
- Promotion and Tenure Application Process: Regular Faculty
- Promotion Application Recommendation Process: Research Faculty
- Promotion Application Recommendation Process: Adjunct and Clinical Faculty
Templates and Forms for Promotion and Tenure
- GWU SMHS Required CV Format Template
- Initial Appointment Chair Letter APT Template
- Chair Cover Letter to External, Independent Evaluator Template
- External, Independent Reviewer Form
- Guidelines for Primary Reviewers
- Required Format for Chair Letters in Support of Promotion/Tenure Application Template
- Tenure and/or Promotion Dossier Checklist
- Research Faculty Promotion Form
- Adjunct/Clinical Faculty Promotion Form
- SMHS Rules & Procedures (Bylaws)
- Faculty Handbook
- Faculty Guide for Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure
- Faculty Code
- Inclusive Committee Formation
- Inclusive Faculty Search Guidelines
- Faculty Development Events & Workshops
- Clinical Learning & Simulation Skills Center
- Affiliate Hospitals