Congratulations to the George Washington (GW) University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) faculty members Jacqueline S. Barnett, M.S., assistant professor of physician assistant studies, and Ellen F. Goldman, M.B.A., Ed.D., associate professor of clinical research and leadership and human and organizational learning, and director of the Master Teacher Leadership Development Program, for being selected as 2014 Bender Teaching Award recipients.
The Bender Teaching Award is part of GW’s efforts to honor teaching stars: faculty and graduate students who have acted on their belief that all GW students can excel. In that process, they have demonstrated just how transformative both learning and teaching can be.
Bender Teaching Award recipients are selected based upon demonstrated excellence in:
- The use of pedagogically sound teaching practices.
- Setting high academic standards and expectations for student achievement as evidenced by the assignment of challenging, relevant homework, and rigorous examinations.
- The use of teaching techniques, tools, or resources worthy of attention by other faculty.
- Student involvement and intellectual excitement as measured by student testimony and feedback.
- A commitment to student learning as evidenced by adapting instruction to student strengths, needs, and differences, and by regular availability to students outside of the classroom (e.g., office hours and email, telephone, and Skype-like connections) or by frequent, organized online discussion.
- The use of assessment evidence to guide instructional improvement.
- Engagement in the scholarship of teaching and learning, or other activities that help colleagues improve their own teaching.
Barnett and Goldman, along with other faculty award winners, were honored at the Fourth Annual Faculty Honors Ceremony on March 31st for their dedication, research, and service to the University.
To see a full list of this year’s Mortan A. Bender Teaching Award recipients, visit: http://tlc.provost.gwu.edu/2013-2014-faculty-award-winners