Congratulations to the 2021 Golden Apple awardees. The annual awards recognize GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) professors and residents for their contributions to and impact on students’ education. SMHS students presented the Golden Apple awards during this year’s virtual Follies, an annual student talent show, March 26.
Each year, physician assistant students, first- and second-year physical therapy students, and first- and second-year medical students nominate their favorite professors, while third- and fourth-year medical students nominate a professor and resident. The awards are part of the nominating process for the American Medical Student Association’s National Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence.
This year, the following professors and resident were recognized at SMHS:
- Physician assistant students: Brandon Beattie, MS, visiting assistant professor of physician assistant studies at SMHS
- First-year physical therapy students: Liana Wooten, DPT, visiting assistant professor of health, human function, and rehabilitation sciences at SMHS
- Second-year physical therapy students: Karen Goodman, DPT, MS, visiting assistant professor of health, human function, and rehabilitation sciences at SMHS
- First- and second-year medical students: Kirsten Brown, PhD, associate professor of anatomy and cell biology at SMHS
- Second- and third-year medical students - Professor: Anna BuAbbud, MD, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at SMHS
- Second- and third-year medical students - Resident: Alex Gu, MD, first-year resident in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at SMHS