GW Faculty Participate in Virtual American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science D.C. and VA Spring Meeting
The D.C. and Virginia chapters of the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCL) will be holding their spring meeting on Saturday, April 10 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET. Many faculty from the George Washington University (GW) will be participating.
This year, topics such as testing protocols during public health crisis, responding to SARS-CoV-2 Infection, and public perception of science will be discussed.
“Laboratory science has always been essential to medicine, but it has been especially important during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Marcia A. Firmani, PhD, MSPH, chair of the Department of Biomedical Laboratory Sciences Department at GW SMHS and president of the ASCLS D.C. chapter. “We look forward to hearing from GW experts, as well as experts at Howard University, Old Dominion University, and other organizations about the latest topics in this field.”
Continuing education units will be given through PACE. To attend the conference, it costs students $10, ASCLS members $25, and ASCLS non-members $35. To register, visit http://rb.gy/sy37ye.
See below for the full agenda:
- Opening Keynote:
- Speaker: Cindy Liu, MD, PhD, MPH. GW Milken School of Public Health.
- Title: Launching an Organization-wide Laboratory Testing Protocol during a Public Health Crisis
- Concurrent Session A1:
- Speaker: Gezahegn Gorfu Tolla, PhD, MLS(ASCP), Howard University.
- Title: Adaptive Immune Responses to SARS-CoV-2 Infection
- Concurrent Session A2:
- Speaker Lawrence Prensky, MS-LCGC, Perkin Elmer.
- Title: Making Prenatal Cell Free DNA Screening Accessible and Affordable to All Women
- Concurrent Session B1:
- Speaker: Carol Rentas, PhD, MT(ASCLS)SC, GW SMHS.
- Title: Scientific Findings: A Cloud of Suspicion and the Public's Perception
- Concurrent Session B2:
- Speaker: Angela Wilson, MS, Old Dominion University
- Title: Implementation of Clinical Laboratory Simulation
- Concurrent Session C1:
- Speaker: Jean Chappell, EdD, MT(ASCP)C, Sheba International, Inc.
- Title: Interprofessional Education: A Superpower for the Next Generation of Health Professionals
- Concurrent Session C2:
- Speaker: Marcia Firmani, PhD, MSPH, MT(ASCP)MB, GW SMHS.
- Title: Danger Zone: Cases of Biohazardous Exposures in the Microbiology Laboratory
- Closing Session:
- Speaker: Barbara Harrison, MS, CGC, Howard University.
- Title: Addressing the Past to Impact the Future of Personalized Medicine
For more information on ASCL, visit https://ascls-dc.org/events/.