[Based on the AAMC recommendations about visiting clerkships this year, the SMHS Office of Diversity & Inclusion will not be hosting The Visiting Clerkship Program.]
The Visiting Clerkship Program sponsored by the SMHS Office of Diversity and Inclusion (VCP-ODI), in collaboration with the Medical Faculty Associates of the George Washington University, provides support for fourth-year medical students with an interest in health equity, diversity, and inclusion to participate in a variety of visiting clerkships. This opportunity intends to enhance students’ exposure to careers in academic medicine and to recruit students with a particular interest in the care of the under-served.
All fourth-year medical students in good standing at accredited US or Canadian medical schools.
- Students must have completed all core clerkships including Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Obstetrics & Gynecology and Primary Care/Family Medicine.
- Students must have successfully passed USMLE Step 1.
- Must directly apply to one of the available clinical rotations prior to applying for VCP-ODI support.
- Clerkships are 4 weeks in duration and are completed based on the SMHS fourth year calendar, beginning in July and ending in December.
- Accepted students will receive a stipend of $1,000 towards travel and housing.
- Clerkships are available in the following specialties:
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine (August and September)
- Infectious Disease
- Palliative Care
- Neurological Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- VCP-ODI participants are assigned a specialty advisor and will have an opportunity to meet one-on-one with the program director during the 4-week clerkship.
- VCP-ODI students will be invited to participate in a student/faculty networking breakfast hosted by the SMHS Office of Diversity & Inclusion.
Please direct questions about the VCP-ODI to the SMHS Office of Diversity and Inclusion at email@example.com.