In case of a needle stick:
Between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Employee Health - go right away!
Hospital G-1092, Phone 715-4568
After-hours and weekends/holidays
Emergency Department - go right away!
*AND* go to Employee Health on the next business day
Always report to the Safety Office (Ross 617) to fill out worker's comp forms so you are not billed for services.
The hospital has implemented a Trainee Taxi Voucher Program that residents and fellows may use for safe transportation home from assigned rotations at GW under the conditions described in this guideline.
Housestaff who meet the criteria for eligibility set forth in this guideline may receive a taxi voucher by complying with the following.
As a GW resident or fellow, you may receive a voucher for cab fare if:
You drive to work and:
- have worked an "extended," shift, longer than 16 hours and are feeling sleep-deprived
- feel fatigued or ill and are concerned about falling asleep while driving -- regardless of the length of the shift you've worked
You walk or use public transportation to get to work and:
1. Have worked an "extended," shift, longer than 16 hours and are feeling sleep-deprived
2. Feel it is unsafe for you to walk or use public transportation home after the shift you've worked, e.g., because your shift has ended after dark, or because criminal activity in the area through which you travel has been reported
3. Public transportation is not available at the end of the shift you've worked
4. Are concerned that you may be unable to walk home or use public transportation safely because you feel ill or are fatigued-regardless of the length of the shift you've worked. Fatigue increases your risk of being in a motor vehicle accident. It also lowers your awareness of your surroundings when walking or taking public transportation, making you vulnerable to crime or personal injuries. Please remember that this program was created in order to help you arrive home safely under the particular adverse circumstances described above and not for your convenience or to defray the cost of your regular commuting expenses.
Procedure to Obtain Taxi Voucher
1. During daytime hours Monday-Friday 8a-5p
- Resident picks up voucher in Hospital Administration-Lobby Level
- Administrative Assistant will record date, time, Resident’s name and program in logbook
2. All other times
- Resident calls Nursing Administration at 715-5330 for voucher
- Nursing Administration records date, time, Resident’s name and program in logbook
3. Resident must call Taxi company at 202-398-0500 for taxi
4. Resident fills out taxi voucher and hands to driver at completion of the trip
As a GME benefit, all housestaff are entitled to four free mental health visits through the Medical Faculty Associates psychiatry department. Visits are confidential. To schedule a visit, call 202-741-2888 or 202-741-2860 and tell them that you are a GW resident. You should not receive a bill for these visits; if you do, please bring it directly to the GME office and it will be paid for you.
Dr. Susanne Bathgate (Ob/Gyn) and Dr. Babak Sarani (Surgery) are your Ombudspersons for Graduate Medical Education.
Drs. Bathgate and/or Sarani will be available to: 1. Meet with and counsel residents who have been subject to possible violations of the Code of Conduct or mistreatment in the learning environment; 2. trainees who seek guidance and support to raise issues of concern without fear; and 2. inform trainees of policies and procedures. The Ombudsperson may investigate and resolve issues informally as outlined in the Mistreatment Policy, or may refer issues to the Committee on the Learning Environment (CLE).
The RPRC reviews cases where further discussion or investigation of the involvement of a resident or fellow is warranted, or where a systemic issue is identified that impacts patient safety. This may include but is not limited to concerns regarding ethics, professionalism, standards of care, patient safety, or adverse outcomes. If you have a case that you would like to discuss with or refer to the RPRC, please contact: email@example.com.