Congratulations on your acceptance into the Physician Assistant Program. Please carefully read and bookmark this webpage so you can easily reference the important information and resources listed below.
Save the Dates!
- Mandatory PA/MPH Orientation 2020: March 11, 2020
- Mandatory PA Orientation 2020: May 27-29, 2020
- PA/MPH 1st day of class: May 18, 2020
- PA 1st day of class: June 1, 2020
Important Next Steps
1. Financial Aid
FAFSA: If you wish to apply for federal loans for Summer 2020, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for the 2019 – 2020 academic year. Complete the FAFSA based on your 2018 federal tax return. To apply for student loans for the Fall 2020 – 2021 academic year, complete the 2020 – 2021 FAFSA after you have filed your 2019 federal tax return. You will need the GW "school code" to fill out the form: 001444(00). The Admissions Office must have your social security number on file before financial aid can be processed.
GW Supplemental Graduate Loan Questionnaire: This form is also required for federal and private loans. The PA program will provide step-by-step instructions and an example template on how to correctly complete the Supplemental Graduate Loan Questionnaire on Blackboard. Please do not complete the form until you have received the instructions. An incorrect form can significantly delay the processing of your loan application.
2. Criminal Background Check
As a clinical student, you are required to complete a criminal background check through Certiphi Screening, a third-party vendor approved by the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences. You will receive instructions via an email directly from Certiphi Screening. If you accidentally delete the criminal background check instructions email, please contact Certiphi Screening at (800) 803-7859.
3. Drug Screen
You are also required to complete a drug screen through Certiphi Screening. You will receive a separate email from Certiphi Screening with instructions to create an account for your drug screen. Upon creating your account, a list of lab locations in the DC area will be displayed. However, there are many lab locations throughout the U.S. Contact Certiphi Screening at (800) 803-7859 to find a lab close to you.
You must provide the following when you visit the lab for your drug screen:
- An official government-issued ID (e.g. driver’s license or passport)
- A six digit code: This code will be issued to you by Student Services
For technical assistance with the system, please contact (888) 291-1369 x2006. If you accidentally delete the drug screen instructions email, please contact Certiphi Screening at (800) 803-7859.
4. Physical Exam and Immunizations
As a clinical PA student, you are required to complete a physical exam and mandatory immunizations prior to matriculation. Please complete the Physical Exam Form and the Immunization Form, located under the section Clinical Forms (for MLS, PA, & PT students) here. The completed forms will be uploaded to your personal tracking system, myRecordTracker. This information will be given to you by mid-March. Please do not submit the form to the Office of Admissions or Student Services.
5. Claim Your GW Account and Activate Your GWMail Address
Claiming your GW account allows you to create your @gwmail.gwu.edu email address as well as access Blackboard and the MyGW portal. Please wait 1–2 business days following accepting your offer of admission to claim your account. All official university communication will be conducted through your GW email address.
Other Important Information
Registering for Classes. You will receive detailed course registration information directly from the Physician Assistant program at a later date.
Health Insurance. Health insurance is mandatory for all Physician Assistant students. Learn more about the GW Student Health Insurance plan.
Visit Colonial Central. Colonial Central is GW’s virtual and physical one-stop shop for the Registrar’s Office, Student Accounts, Student Financial Assistance, GWorld Office and Veteran Services. As an incoming student, visit Colonial Central to:
- Obtain your GWorld card. Following course registration, you may obtain your official GW ID card known as the GWorld card by visiting the GWorld Office on the first floor of the Marvin Center. This card is required to access Ross Hall and other secured areas of campus. Please bring a photo ID and your GWID number to the GWorld office.
- Learn about tuition payment plans and student loans.
- Are you a Veteran or Dependent? Visit the Office of Veteran Services for information on the G.I. Bill and other resources.
Bookmark MyGW. MyGW (my.gwu.edu) is a customizable online portal for the GWmail system, Blackboard, campus directories, GWeb, course evaluations and campus news.
Graduate Student-Specific Resources
The Graduate Study page has a collection of GW resources and policies to help you transition to graduate study.
GradLife. The hub for living, playing and studying in Washington, DC! Explore off-campus and on-campus housing options, GW Trails, student organizations, academic resources and various campus services and support organizations including the Career Center, Counseling Services, Disability Services, International Students Office, LGBT Center, Multicultural Center, Transportation and Parking Services.
Classes are generally held from 8am to 5pm Monday through Fridays with a few mandatory Saturdays. Instructors reserve the right to make changes to the class schedule when necessary. The summer semester schedule will be shared with students closer to the start of the semester. For a full list of classes, please visit the PA or PA/MPH curriculum page.
Summer Registration for Incoming Students:
All students register for courses using the GWeb Info System. Course registration numbers (CRNs) and instructions for registration will be forwarded to you via email in late winter/early spring. Registration details will also be found in your Pre-Orientation Blackboard community.
Information needed to register:
- The Course Reference Number (CRN) for each course -- This is the five-digit number that identifies the department, course and section. It is located below.
- Your Nine-Digit Identification Number (GWID) -- Your GWID number is nine characters - the letter "G" followed by eight numbers.
- Your Personal Identification Number (PIN) -- This is a six-digit number assigned to new students upon admission. By default, your initial PIN is your date of birth in one of two formats: (a) your birth month and year, plus the number 99 (MMYY99); or (b) your birth date in MMDDYY format.
Registering for Courses:
- Access the online registration system by going to My GW and clicking on “GWeb Info System".
- Enter your nine-digit student ID number and six-digit PIN on the login screen to view the Main Menu.
- Click on the “Student Records and Registration Menu”, then on the “Registration Menu”. When selecting the option to Register, Drop, and/or Add Classes, you will be prompted for a term. Select the correct upcoming semester.
- Enter the above Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) into the numbered boxes and click on “Submit Changes". You will immediately see if you were successful.