Congratulations on your acceptance into the Physician Assistant Program. Please carefully read and bookmark this webpage so you can easily reference the important information and resources listed below.
Important Next Steps
1. Financial Aid
FAFSA: If you wish to apply for federal loans for Summer 2019, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for the 2018 – 2019 academic year. Complete the FAFSA based on your 2017 federal tax return. To apply for student loans for the Fall 2019 – 2020 academic year, complete the 2019 – 2020 FAFSA after you have filed your 2018 federal tax return. You will need the GW "school code" to fill out the form: 001444(00). The Admissions Office must have your social security number on file before financial aid can be processed.
GW Supplemental Graduate Loan Questionnaire: This form is also required for federal and private loans. The PA program will provide step-by-step instructions and an example template on how to correctly complete the Supplemental Graduate Loan Questionnaire on Blackboard. Please do not complete the form until you have received the instructions. An incorrect form can significantly delay the processing of your loan application.
2. Criminal Background Check
As a clinical student, you are required to complete a criminal background check through Certiphi Screening, a third-party vendor approved by the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences. You will receive instructions via an email directly from Certiphi Screening. If you accidentally delete the criminal background check instructions email, please contact Certiphi Screening at (800) 803-7859.
3. Drug Screen
You are also required to complete a drug screen through Certiphi Screening. You will receive a separate email from Certiphi Screening with instructions to create an account for your drug screen. Upon creating your account, a list of lab locations in the DC area will be displayed. However, there are many lab locations throughout the U.S. Contact Certiphi Screening at (800) 803-7859 to find a lab close to you.
You must provide the following when you visit the lab for your drug screen:
- An official government-issued ID (e.g. driver’s license or passport)
- A six digit code: This code will be issued to you by Student Services
For technical assistance with the system, please contact (888) 291-1369 x2006. If you accidentally delete the drug screen instructions email, please contact Certiphi Screening at (800) 803-7859.
4. Physical Exam and Immunizations
As a clinical PA student, you are required to complete a physical exam and mandatory immunizations prior to matriculation. Please complete the Physical Exam Form and the Immunization Form, located under the section Clinical Forms (for MLS, PA, & PT students) here. The completed forms will be uploaded to your personal tracking system, myRecordTracker. This information will be given to you by mid-March. Please do not submit the form to the Office of Admissions or Student Services.
5. Claim Your GW Account and Activate Your GWMail Address
Claiming your GW account allows you to create your @gwmail.gwu.edu email address as well as access Blackboard and the MyGW portal. Please wait 1–2 business days following accepting your offer of admission to claim your account. All official university communication will be conducted through your GW email address.
Other Important Information
Save the Dates!
- Mandatory PA orientation: 2019 Dates: May 29-31
- Mandatory PA/MPH orientation: 2019 Dates TBA
- PA first day of class: 2019 Date: June 3
- PA/MPH first day of class: 2019 Date: May 20
- Thanksgiving break: 2019 Dates: November 27-29
- Winter break: Wednesday, December 23, 2019 - Monday, January 6, 2020
- Spring break: 2020 Dates TBA
Registering for Classes. You will receive detailed course registration information directly from the Physician Assistant program at a later date.
Health Insurance. Health insurance is mandatory for all Physician Assistant students. Learn more about the GW Student Health Insurance plan.
Visit Colonial Central. Colonial Central is GW’s virtual and physical one-stop shop for the Registrar’s Office, Student Accounts, Student Financial Assistance, GWorld Office and Veteran Services. As an incoming student, visit Colonial Central to:
- Obtain your GWorld card. Following course registration, you may obtain your official GW ID card known as the GWorld card by visiting the GWorld Office on the first floor of the Marvin Center. This card is required to access Ross Hall and other secured areas of campus. Please bring a photo ID and your GWID number to the GWorld office.
- Learn about tuition payment plans and student loans.
- Are you a Veteran or Dependent? Visit the Office of Veteran Services for information on the G.I. Bill and other resources.
Bookmark MyGW. MyGW (my.gwu.edu) is a customizable online portal for the GWmail system, Blackboard, campus directories, GWeb, course evaluations and campus news.
Graduate Student-Specific Resources
The Graduate Study page has a collection of GW resources and policies to help you transition to graduate study.
GradLife. The hub for living, playing and studying in Washington, DC! Explore off-campus and on-campus housing options, GW Trails, student organizations, academic resources and various campus services and support organizations including the Career Center, Counseling Services, Disability Services, International Students Office, LGBT Center, Multicultural Center, Transportation and Parking Services.