Washington, DC is one of the most ethnically and socio-economically diverse cities in the United States and the community GW serves reflects this wealth of diversity. GW is committed to meeting the needs of the community we serve by training and supporting physicians from all backgrounds, including those from groups traditionally underrepresented in medicine. Here at The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (GW SMHS) and The George Washington University Hospital (GWUH), we strive to foster a diverse, inclusive community where all feel welcomed. We recognize diversity and inclusion as an integral factor in achieving institutional excellence, promoting health equity, and improving the lives of those we serve.
The GW Diversity Network was created in 2016 to promote diversity and inclusion by recruiting outstanding trainees from underrepresented minority groups and supporting these trainees through residency into their fellowship or career.
The GW Diversity Network is a multicultural group of GW residents and faculty from various departments.
- Attract and support trainees from traditionally underrepresented minority groups in medicine
- Foster an inclusive environment for all trainees
- Support undergraduate medical students in the local community
The Diversity Network Planning Committee meets regularly to organize ongoing activities to support the Network’s mission.
Network Activities include:
- GME Open House
- Diversity Network Resident Applicant Dinner
- “How to Shine”: Residency Pre-Interview Workshop for local medical students
- Intern Welcome Happy Hour
- Diversity Dialogues /Tuesday Town Halls
- Participation in local and national SNMA and LMSA events
- Black Men in White Coats Movie Screening
- White Coats for Black Lives and White Coats against Asian Hate events
- VotER Registration DrivesCommunity Service/Outreach – joint ventures with UMPH and the Rodham Institute
- Collaboration with GW’s Anti-racism coalition (ARC)
- Opportunities for mentorship and leadership
Interested in learning more about upcoming events, connecting with the Diversity Network, or joining the Diversity Network planning committee?
Contact us at email@example.com.
Margaret Pruitt, MD, PhD
ChiChi Udochi, MD
Chavon Onumah, MD, MPH, M.Ed, FACP