Identified through an understanding of our changing environment, as well as areas of strength which distinguish SMHS from other institutions, the following themes provide a framework for the goals of the strategic plan. The first four bullets reflect the crosscutting themes included in Vision 2021, the George Washington University Strategic Plan. The final two bullets are unique to SMHS.
- Innovation, especially through cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Globalization of our educational and research programs
- Enhancement of our programs that focus on governance and policy in the public and private sectors
- Infusing the ideas of citizenship and leadership into everything we do
- Incorporation of diversity, service, and inclusion into the education, research, and healing mission of SMHS
- Sustainability and financial stewardship to ensure continued excellence in education, research, and delivery of care
These themes create the foundation for each of the goals within the five domains:
- Leadership: Promote a culture of excellence through leadership, performance improvement, professionalism, and diversity and inclusion for students, faculty, and staff.
- Education: Lead the nation in innovative medical and health sciences education and training.
- Discovery: Augment the research portfolio at SMHS and elevate our prominence through its quality and impact.
- Community: Become nationally recognized for our commitment to health equity in local and international communities through research, service, education, and advocacy.
- Clinical Excellence: Gain national recognition for clinical excellence at SMHS and its clinical partners.