We begin accepting applications for summer 2020 entry on August 15, 2019, through the PostBac Centralized Application System. This certificate program has only one entry term in May of each year. Admissions is granted on a rolling basis. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview prior to an admissions decision. Given the rolling nature of the admissions process, all applicants are strongly encouraged to submit completed applications earlier in the cycle. The deadline for applications to be verified by PostBacCAS is March 15, 2020. Applications should be completed (e-submitted, payment received, transcripts received, and two letters received) at least four weeks in advance of the March 15 deadline to ensure that the application is verified on time.
Applying for Admission
Applicants to the GW Post-Baccalaureate Pre-med Program must complete and submit two applications by the application deadline. Please find below IMPORTANT instructions for completing the two required applications:
- As a first step, create your standard online application on the PostBacCAS (PostBac Central Application Service). IMPORTANT: You must create your PostBacCAS application first as the Supplemental GW online application requires that you enter your unique PostBacCAS ID number.
- As a second step, complete the Supplemental GW Online Application, found at https://gw.force.com (application fee: $60). Our supplemental online application is now open.
You will create an account so that you may work on your application over a period of time. When completing the GW Supplemental Online Application, please select "Undergraduate" from the program type dropdown menu and "Pre-Medicine" from the field of study menu. Please select “Virginia Science and Technology Campus” when the application prompts you for the campus you plan to attend.
Summer 2020 Deadline: March 15, 2020
The fee for PostBacCAS is based upon the number of programs the applicant designates. The supplemental, non-refundable GW application fee is $60. The GW fee is waived only for the following applicants:
- U.S. military personnel who have been on active duty within three years of submitting their application for admission
- GW alumni (those holding a GW degree or graduate certificate)
- Current degree or graduate certificate candidates at GW
- Current McNair Program Scholars
General Admission Requirements
1. An undergraduate bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university prior to matriculation, with a minimum GPA of 3.0
Prospective students who are still enrolled in a bachelor's degree program (e.g., in their senior year) but anticipate completing their degree by the time of matriculation to GW's Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medicine Program, if admitted, are eligible to apply.
Prospective students who have completed most or all of the prerequisite courses for medical school application (e.g., general and organic chemistry, biology, and physics) within the past five years and wish to enhance their academic record for application to medical school may wish to consider GW's Graduate Certificate in Anatomy and Translational Sciences.
Calculus is strongly recommended. If admitted, students are encouraged to complete calculus prior to enrolling in the physics courses. It is possible to complete calculus at other institutions or through online courses, and the program can guide students on how best to do so.
- An official transcript from every college and university you attended, whether or not a degree was earned, must be submitted directly to PostBacCAS at:
PostBacCAS Transcript Department
P.O. Box 9209
Watertown, MA 02472
3. Standardized test score from the SAT or ACT. GRE scores will also be accepted, but only if SAT or ACT scores are unavailable.
Applicants may submit test scores directly from the testing agency. Official transcripts may be sent directly to GW for the purpose of verifying SAT/ACT scores, you may upload an unofficial copy of your high school transcript in the “Other” document area. SAT/ACT scores may also be sent directly to GW from the testing service. If you request scores directly from the testing service, please be aware that it may take 4-6 weeks or more for GW to receive the scores. GW's institutional codes are 5246 (SAT or GRE) and 0664 (ACT). PostBacCAS does not track receipt of official scores on behalf of GW.
4. Statement of Intent
In addition to your PostBacCAS essay, please address the GW supplemental short essay question (within the PostBacCAS online application) describing your reasons for undertaking your studies specifically at The George Washington University Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medicine Program.
Two letters of recommendation are required and must be submitted through the PostBacCAS. Please remind your references that letters should be printed on letterhead, where available, and signed. Please do not submit additional recommendations directly to GW. Recommendations are not acceptable from family members and friends.
Letters of recommendation are preferred/encouraged from:
- Academic instructors who can strongly attest to your academic ability, and/or
- Individuals, ideally health care professionals, who served in a supervisory capacity for you or have known you for an extended time and can strongly attest to your work ethic and promise in the medical field.
Qualified Applicants Will be Contacted for Interviews
If deemed a qualified applicant, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with the program director and members of the admissions committee. The interview process is designed to evaluate each candidate's communication skills, maturity level, match to the GW mission, and his or her understanding of today’s health care environment.