The Medstar National Rehabilitation Network (MedStar NRH)/The George Washington University (GW) will prepare residents to achieve our mission through a full-time, fifteen month program including:
- 20 hours of weekly clinical practice across neurologic diagnoses and acuity via rotations in critical care/acute care at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, inpatient acute rehabilitation at MedStar NRH, and outpatient rehabilitation at MedStar NRH clinics at Irving Street and the greater DC area.
- 4 additional hours of 1:1 mentored clinical practice per week with residency mentor faculty
- 3-4 hours per week of participation in the physician clinics at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar NRH. Clinics may include: neuromuscular disorders, movement disorders, concussion, spinal cord injury, spasticity, and orthotic/prosthetic clinic among others.
- 3-8 hours teaching per week in neurologic courses in the GW’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program, including neuroscience, clinical conference, and neurologic patient management courses. Hours vary depending on course demands.
- 1-2 additional hours per week of mentored teaching with instruction in educational theory, assessment methods, and instructional design.
- 2 hours weekly didactic education and networking through the Neurologic Professional Education Consortium’s virtual webinars, as well as 2 four-day, on-site training modules in Los Angeles, CA.
- 2-4 hours weekly “independent study” time to develop a scholarly project
- Examples may include: clinical research, case report or paper for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, contribution to a book, health care quality improvement project, or other approved work
- Past resident research projects have included quality improvement related to interdisciplinary training for early mobilization post-stroke; collaboration with the MS Society related to a falls prevention program*; development of fitness recommendations for individuals with chronic spinal cord injury; analysis of spatiotemporal gait changes in individuals with multiple sclerosis*; development of a clinical decision-making algorithm for individuals with disorders of consciousness.*
*Several projects have been presented at regional and national professional conferences
Sample Weekly Schedule
Schedule will vary based on clinical rotation and teaching assignments
|A.M.||Patient Care at MedStar NRH||Patient Care at MedStar NRH||Patient Care at MedStar NRH||Patient Care at MedStar NRH||Patient Care at MedStar NRH|
|P.M.||Patient Care at MedStar NRH with mentor session||Teaching in entry-level DPT Program at GW||Physician Clinics at MedStar NRH & Georgetown||Teaching in entry-level DPT Program at GW||Independent study time for scholarly project|