Notable Accomplishments of 2019
- The Division of Kidney Diseases and Hypertension was recognized by the US News and World Report as “High performing”, a distinction held by the top ten percent of nephrology divisions in the country.
- The fellows and faculty won the “NephMadness”, an international competition that test their perception and knowledge in nephrology and hypertension.
- The division will host the inaugural Global Innovations in Patient-Centered Kidney Care Summit in partnership with the American Association of Kidney Patients.
- The division will participate in the APOL1 long-term kidney transplantation outcome network (APOLLO) study.
- The division is expanding clinical operations to Virginia.
The division welcomed two new faculty members. Rohan Paul, MD joined the section of transplant medicine. He did his general nephrology at the University of Pittsburg and a transplant nephrology fellowship at UCSF. Renu Regunathan-Shenk, MD joined the division after completing her general nephrology and glomerular diseases fellowship at Columbia University. She established the Onconephrology service and is actively involved in several research projects.
Carlos Palant, MD retired from the VAMC. Samir Patel, MD assumed responsibility as the chief of nephrology at the VAMC. He has initiated and completed several educational initiatives and research protocols in a short span of time.
The distinguished faculty members from the division have been recognized for their research, clinical expertise and health care policy experience in national and international platforms. They participated in grant review for Pathobiology of Kidney Study section, Kidney Nutrition, Obesity and Diabetes study section, Project Kidney X, special NIH study sections and Poland National Science Center, 2018. They were invited to present and chair in national and international venues.
- Presentations at international venues: 9
- Presentations at national conferences: 13
- Medicine and medicine/nephrology Grand Rounds: 10
- National symposiums organized/chaired: 2
- Visiting professorships: 6
Dr. Regunathan serves as the Scientific Committee co-chair for the Global Innovations in Patient-Centered Kidney Care Summit.
Nancy Uhland, NP serves on the D.C. Board of Nursing, is the current President of the Nurse Practitioner Association of D.C. and a member on the American Association of Kidney Patient Meeting Planning Committee. She is currently pursuing a Doctor of Nursing with a thesis on “The Impact of a Standardized Education Class on a Person Diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease, Stage IV.”
Dr. Lew serves in the Data Safety Monitoring Board of the NIH Kidney Precision Medicine Project, participated in the nephrologist roundtable on home dialysis organized by the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation and serves in the American Society of Nephrology: Quality Committee.
Pedro Jose, MD, PhD, was named the Most Outstanding Professional of Dingras and received the Pamana ng Pilipino (Republic of the Philippines Award) and Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award. He also served in the American Heart Association Committee for Scientific Sessions Programming.
Dr. Raj is the 2019 American Society of Nephrology Annual Meeting abstract committee chair. He also serves as the organizing committee co-chair for the Global Innovations in Patient-Centered Kidney Care Summit. He was recognized and featured as an “Innovator in Nephrology” by the American Association of Kidney Patient.
The division offers “total kidney care” that spans from kidney protection to management of chronic kidney disease, renal replacement therapies and kidney transplantation. The wide spectrum of expertise and the reputation of the clinicians has led to rapid expansion of our services. The division offers special nephrology clinics including transplant medicine clinic, kidney protection clinic, CKD education clinic, glomerular diseases clinic and hypertension. Dr. Regunathan-Shenk established the onconephrology service in collaboration with hematology and oncology. Dr. Centron initiated the first kidney wellness clinic, a group clinic in the MFA that encourages patients to assume healthy lifestyle.
Our physicians provide coverage for eighteen outpatient dialysis units and four hospitals across Washington DC and Maryland. We serve as medical directors for two chronic dialysis units and a center for home dialysis.
The division has expanded its presence into Virginia, partnering with Somatus. Dr. Nobakht is the medical director for the Fairfax dialysis unit. We have executed a new agreement to serve as the medical director for a unit at Hyattsville with Fresenius Medical Care, which is expected to open by June 2019. The outreach service in Greenbelt, Maryland continues to thrive with the total dedication of Dr. Collins and Dr. Nobakht and Nancy Uhland.
The peritoneal dialysis program led by Dr. Lew is the largest one in the DC/Maryland/Virginia region.
In the inpatient setting, we provide consult service for a spectrum of disorders ranging from acute kidney injury, resistant hypertension, immunological diseases, acid base disorders and complex electrolyte disturbances. We offer a wide range of extracorporeal therapies besides conventional hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis, including continuous renal replacement therapies, ultrafiltration, plasmapheresis, leukapheresis and exchange transfusion. As the director of clinical services, Dr. Susie Lew continues to coordinate the clinical services for the division. Dr. Sharma has done an outstanding job. He effectively coordinates and directs the continuous renal replacement therapies that serves the critically ill patients in medical, cardiothoracic and surgical intensive care units. Ellen McCormick, NP joined the division to help provide quality care to the growing inpatient service.
Dr. Lew is pursuing her passion in telemedicine with providing care to patients from Unity Clinic for hypertension and CKD remotely.
The transplant program has shown a steady increase in volume under the leadership of Dr. Jagadeesan and Dr. Paul. With help from Dr. Paul and support from the Department of Medicine and GW hospital, we have established a transplant medicine inpatient service.
The staff members Ms. Kaiser and Ms. Babb are integral part of the growth and success of the division in every effort.
We currently have five fellows and will expand to six fellows in 2019, with the addition of an international fellow. We hope to start a transplant nephrology fellowship in 2020. Dr. Patel is establishing curriculum for point of care ultrasound training for our fellows. Fellowship training occurs at GWU, VAMC and Inova Fairfax. The patient population and clinical problems in these institutions are very different and thus provide an intense, yet broad training that prepares the fellows for the real-world practice. Dr. Cohen has revamped the curriculum, and fellows receive world-class training in the GW nephrology fellowship program.
The faculty members of the VAMC and Inova Fairfax have contribute significantly to the fellowship training. Our nephrology fellowship offers a unique opportunity to be trained in kidney ultrasound, kidney biopsy and temporary vascular access placement. For interested fellows, there is opportunity to be involved in laboratory-based or clinical-translational research.
The division excels in educating the medical student, residents and fellows. Besides the regular case-based renal grand rounds, we offer regular thematic lectures delivered by faculty members and well-organized journal clubs. Fellows receive board preparation using NephSap-based questions and their knowledge tested by “knowledge bowl”. Dr. Cohen has been highly innovative in his teaching methods. The division hosts eminent researchers and clinicians as visiting professors to enable faculty development and also for broadening their knowledge base.
The faculty members published 44 manuscripts in peer reviewed journals and 27 abstracts in national meetings.
The Laboratory for Hypertension Research under the direction of Dr. Pedro A. Jose continues to be productive and supported by several grants that are examining the gut-kidney connection in hypertension and pharmacogenomics of hypertension. He has been invited across the world as a visiting professor. He exemplifies preeminence in hypertension research. Dr. Selim Rozyyev is a postdoctoral research fellow from Russia.
Dr. Dominic Raj’s research group is involved in projects ranging from clinical to basic science and clinical translational. We completed the following NIH funded studies: (a) Safety and Cardiovascular Efficacy of Spironolactone in Dialysis Dependent ESRD Trial (Spin-D), (b) The CKD Optimal Management With Binders and NicotinamidE (COMBINE) Study, (c) Bicarbonate Administration to Stabilize Estimated glomerular filtration rate (BASE) study, (d) Targeting microbiome in ESRD (TarGut ESRD) study and (e) Targeting microbiome in CKD (TarGut CKD) Study. Ongoing NIH funded studies include The Anti-Cytokine Therapy for Hemodialysis Inflammation (ACTION) and Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring and Related Outcomes in Hemodialysis (CAMARO HD).
Dr. Ali Ramezani received the Young Investigator Award from the National Kidney Foundation to explore a microbiome-based treatment for atherosclerosis.
The research coordinators, Sarah C. Andrews, BS, and Badryah A. Omar, MS, have been commended by the NIH for recruitment and flawless execution of the studies. Sarah will join the University of Buffalo School of Medicine this fall.
- Urine single cell transcriptomics to characterize podocyte disease. GW Office of Research and NIH Intramural. PI Regunathan
- Uremic Toxin Depletion by Methanogenic Archaea. Young Investigator Award from NKF. PI Ali Ramezani
- Renal G Protein-Coupled Receptor 37L1 Regulates Blood Pressure. NIH R56DK116828, PI: Prasad Konkalmatt
- A peripheral dopamine hydroxylase inhibitor and treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension. PI, BIAL, Inc, Porto, Portugal, 2019-202; PI: Pedro A. Jose
- G-protein coupled receptor kinase 4 inhibitor, National International Cooperation Base for Cardiovascular Diseases” Collaborator, PI, Chunyu Zeng, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China, 2017-2019, Collaborator: Pedro A. Jose
- Renal Dopamine-1 Receptor Defect in Hypertension, 5R01 DK039308, 1991-2020, PI: Pedro A. Jose
- Animal Models of Salt Sensitivity: Roles of GRK4 and Sodium Transporters on Salt Sensitivity, 5P01 HL074940, 2004-2021, PI Pedro A. Jose, Director, Project 3,
- Calcium transport in kidney proximal tubule and calcium phosphate stone formation, 1R01 DK102043, 2015-2020, Consultant- Pedro A. Jose
- Anti-inflammatory therapy in diabetic CKD. NIH U01DK099914. PI Dominic Raj
- Gut microbiota and atherosclerosis in ESRD. NIH U01DK099924. PI Dominic Raj
- SPRINT-Electronic Health Record (SPRINT-EHR). NIH R011HL136679-01A1- Site-PI: Dominic Raj Site PI
- Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring and Related Outcomes in Hemodialysis (CAMARO HD). R01HL132372. Site-PI Dominic Raj
- The effects of Patiromer on serum potassium level and gut microbiome of ESRD patients with hyperkalemia. Investigator Initiated Study funded by Relypsa. PI Dominic Raj
- IL-6 pathway genes associated renal, cardiovascular and hematological phenotypes in CKD: Findings from the CRIC study. I Investigator Initiated Study, funded by Carvedia. PI Dominic Raj
- Profiling microbiome in CKD. Investigator Initiated Study funded by Kaleido. PI Dominic Raj
- An observational study to investigate the immunopathophysiology of diabetic kidney disease. Co-developed and funded by Medimmune. PI Dominic Raj
- MicroRNA and progression of atherosclerosis. GW Office of Research. PI Dominic Raj
- APOL1 Long-term Kidney Transplantation Outcomes Network (APOLLO) (APOLLO). NIH PI. Jagadeesan/Raj
- Paul R, Raj DS. Metabolic Synergy to Uremic Toxicity: A Tale of Symbiosis and Dysbiosis in CKD. NephSap Editorial (In press)
- Regunathan-Shenk R, Avasare RS, Ahn W, Canetta PA, Cohen DJ, Appel GB, Bomback AS. Kidney Transplantation in C3 Glomerulopathy: A Case Series. Am J Kidney Dis. 2019;73:316-323.
- CureGN Consortium including Renu Regunathan-shenk. Clinical Characteristics and Treatment Patterns of Children and Adults With IgA Nephropathy or IgA Vasculitis: Findings From the CureGN Study. Kidney Int Rep. 2018;3:1373-1384.
- CureGN Consortium including Renu Regunathan-shenk. CureGN Study Rationale, Design, and Methods: Establishing a Large Prospective Observational Study of Glomerular Disease.. Am J Kidney Dis. 2019;73:218-229.
- Zheng X, Asico LD, Ma X, Konkalmatt PR. G protein-coupled receptor 37L1 regulates renal sodium transport and blood pressure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2019 Mar 1;316(3):F506-F516.
- Li P, Nader M, Lessey, G, and Papademetriou V. Device-Based Therapy for Treatment -Resistant Hypertension: Recent updates. EC Cardiology 6(5):429-443; 2019
- Bayoumi E, Lam PH, Dooley DJ, Singh S, Faselis C, Morgan CJ, Patel S, Sheriff HM, Mohammed SF, Palant CE, Pitt B, Fonarow GC, Ahmed A. Spironolactone and Outcomes in Older Patients with Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction. Am J Med. 2019;132:71-80.
- Palant CE, Patel SS, Chawla LS. Acute Kidney Injury Recovery. Contrib Nephrol. 2018;193:35-44.
- Armando I, Jose PA. Soares-da-Silva P. Antihypertensive effect of etamicastat in dopamine D2 receptor deficient mice. Hypertens Res. 41(7):489-498, 2018.
- Yang X, Yue R, Zhang J, Zhang X, Liu Y, Chen C, Wang X, Luo H, Wang WE, Chen X, Wang HJ, Jose PA, Wang H, Zeng. Gastrin Protects Against Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury via Activation of RISK (Reperfusion Injury Salvage Kinase) and SAFE (Survivor Activating Factor Enhancement) Pathways. J Am Heart Assoc. 7(14). pii: e005171, 2018.
- Jiang X, Liu J, Xing, Liu X, Wang W, Wang Z, Hu Y, Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Jose PA, Wei Q, Yang Z. Over-expression of a cardiac-specific human dopamine D5 receptor mutation in mice causes a dilated cardiomyopathy through ROS over-generation by NADPH oxidase activation and Nrf2 degradation. Redox Biol. 2018;19:134-146.
- Luo H, Chen CY, Guo L, Xu ZC, Peng XY, Wang XQ, Wang JL, Wang N, Li CW, Luo XL, Wang HY, Jose PA, Fu CJ, Huang Y, Shi WB, Zeng CY. Exposure to maternal diabetes mellitus causes renal dopamine D-1 receptor dysfunction and hypertension in adult rat offspring. Hypertension. 2018; 72;962-970
- Wang J, Deng Y, Zou X, Luo H, Jose PA, Fu C, Yang J, Zeng C. Long-term low salt diet increases blood pressure by activation of the renin-angiotensin and sympathetic nervous systems. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2018;18:1-8.
- Amosco MD, Tavera GR, Villar VAM, Naniong JMA, David-Bustamente LMG, Williams SM, Jose PA, Palmes-Saloma CP. Non-additive effects of ACVR2A in preeclampsia, in a Philippine population. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019; 19:11. PMC6323705
- Wang S, Tan X, Chen P, Zheng S, Ren H, Cai J, Zhou L, Jose PA, Yang J, Zeng C. Role of thioredoxin 1 in impaired sodium excretion of hD5RF173L transgenic mice. J Am Heart Assoc J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8(8):e012192.
- Rao X, Asico LD, Zanos P, Mahabeleshwar GH, Singh Gangwar R, Xia C, Duan L, Cisse YM, Rengasamy P, Jose PA, Gould TD, Nelson R, Biswal S, Chen LC, Zhong J, Rajagopalan S. Alpha2B-Adrenergic Receptor Overexpression in the Brain Potentiate Air Pollution-induced Behavior and Blood Pressure Changes. Toxicol Sci. 2019 Jan 25. pii: kfz025.
- Ibeh CL, Yiu AJ, Kanaras YL, Paal E, Birnbaumer L, Jose PA, Bandyopadhyay BC. Evidence for a regulated Ca2+ entry in proximal tubular cells and its implication in calcium stone formation. J Cell Sci. 2019 Mar 25. pii: jcs.225268.
- Wu G, Jose PA, Zeng C. Noncoding RNAs in the regulatory network of hypertension. Hypertension. 2018; 72(5):1047-1059
- Yang J, Villar VM, Rozyyev S, Jose PA. The emerging role of sorting nexins in cardiovascular diseases. SClin Sci (Lond). 2019; 133:723-737
- Cuevas S, Villar VAM, Jose PA. Genetic polymorphisms associated with reactive oxygen species and blood pressure regulation. Pharmacogenomics J. 2019 Feb 6. doi: 10.1038/s41397-019-0082-4.
- Mehrotra R, Cukor D, Unruh M, Rue T, Heagerty P, Cohen SD, Dember LM, Diaz-Linhart Y, Dubovsky A, Greene T, Grote N, Kutner N, Trivedi MH, Quinn DK, Ver Halen N, Weisbord SD, Young BA, Kimmel PL, Hedayati SS. Comparative efficacy of therapies for treatment of depression for patients undergoing maintenance hemodialysis: a randomized clinical trial. Ann Intern Med. 2019 Feb 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Babar F, Cohen SD. Thrombotic microangiopathies with rheumatologic involvement. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2018; 44: 635-649
- Cohen SD, Kimmel PL. Management of nonadherence in ESKD patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2018; 13: 1080-1082
- Lew SQ. Peritoneal dialysis immediately after abdominal surgery. Perit Dial Int 2018;38:5-8.
- Lew SQ, Sikka N. Telehealth and peritoneal dialysis in the US: outcomes in practice. J Kidney Care 2018;3(3):156-160.
- Emami S, Lew SQ. Candida glabrata PD-associated peritonitis: A case report. Perit Dial Int 2018;38(5): 391-392.
- Lew SQ. Maintaining peritoneal dialysis adequacy: The process of incremental prescription. Adv Perit Dial 2018;34:10-14.
- Lew SQ. Telehealth in peritoneal dialysis: Review of patient management. Adv Perit Dial 2018;34:32-37.
- Lew SQ, Sikka N, Thompson C, Magnus M. Impact of remote biometric monitoring on cost and hospitalization outcomes in peritoneal dialysis. J Telemed Telecare 2018 Jan 1 epub ahead of print
- Lew SQ, Sikka N. Operationalizing telehealth for home dialysis patients in the United States. Am J Kidney Dis. 2019 Mar 18[Epub ahead of print]
- Montgomery LD, Montgomery RW, Gerth WA, Lew SQ, Velasquez MT, Stewart JM, Medow MS, Klein MM. Monitoring intracellular (Vc), interstitial (Vi) and intravascular (Vb) volume changes during dialysis (HD) in a chronic unit (CU) compared to an acute unit (AU) setting. J Nephrol Kidney Dis. 2019;3(1): 1019
- Ix JH, Isakova T, Larive B, Raphael KL, Raj DS, Cheung AK, Sprague SM, Fried L, Gassman JJ, Middleton J, Flessner M, Block G, Wolf M. Effects of Nicotinamide and Lanthanum Carbonate on Serum Phosphate and Fibroblast Growth Factor-23 in Chronic Kidney Disease: The COMBINE Trial. J Am Soc Nephrol 2019; In Press.
- Bansal N, Zelnick L, Bhat Z, Dobre M, He J, Lash J, Jaar B, Mehta R, Raj DS, Rincon-Choles H, Saunders M, Schrauben S, Weir M, Wright J, Go A. Burden and outcomes associated with heart failure hospitalizations in adults with CKD: the CRIC Study, J Am Col Cardiol (In press)
- Shah NB, Allegretti AS, Nigwekar SU, Kalim S, Zhao S, Lelouvier B, Servant F, Serena G, Thadhani RI, Raj DS, Fasano A. Blood Microbiome Profile in Chronic Kidney Disease: A Pilot study. C J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019, 4, :692-701.
- Barrows IR, Ramezani A, Raj DS. Inflammation, Immunity and Oxidative Stress in Hypertension- Partners in Crime? Adv CKD. 2019, 26:122-130.
- Amdur RL, Feldman HI, Dominic EA, Anderson AH, Beddhu S, Rahman M, Wolf M, Reilly M, Ojo A, Townsend RR, Go AS, He J, Xie D, Thompson S, Budoff M, Kasner S, Kimmel PL, Kusek JW, Raj DS. Use of inflammation and measures of kidney function combined with pooled cohort equation risk estimates in prediction of atherosclerotic vascular disease Events and death for patients with CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2019, 73, 344-353
- Ramezani A, Nolin T, Barrows I, Serrano MG, Buck G, West RE III, Latham PS, Amdur R, Raj DS. Effect of Gut Colonization with Methanogenic Archaea on Plasma TMAO Concentrations and Atherosclerosis in Apolipoprotein e-/- Mice. Nature Scientific Reports, volume 8, Article number: 14752 (2018)
- Supiano MA, Lovato L, Ambrosius WT, Bates J, Beddhu S, Drawz P, Dwyer JP, Hamburg NM, Kitzman D, Lash J, Lustigova E, Miracle CM, Oparil S, Raj DS, Weiner DE, Taylor A, Vita JA, Yunis R, Chertow GM, Chonchol M. Pulse wave velocity and central aortic pressure in systolic blood pressure intervention trial participants. PLoS One. 2018 Sep 26;13(9):e0203305. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0203305. eCollection 2018.
- Charytan DA, Himmelfarb J, Ikizler TA, Raj DS, Hsu JY, Landis JR, Anderson AH, Hung AM, Mehrotra R, Sharma S, Weiner DE, Williams M, DiCarli M, Skali H, Kimmel PL, Kliger AS, Dember LM. For the Hemodialysis Novel Therapies Consortium. Safety and Cardiovascular Efficacy of Spironolactone in Dialysis-Dependent ESRD (SPin-D): A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Multiple Dosage Trial. Kidney Int. 2019;95: 973-982
- Qiu C, Hanson RL, Fufaa C, Kobes S, Gluck C, Huang J, Chen Y, Raj DS, Nelson RG, Knowler WC, Susztak K. Cytosine methylation predicts renal function decline in American Indians. Kidney Int. 2018;93:1417-1431.
- Prasad PV, Wei Li, Raj DS, Carr J, Carr M, Thacker J, Lu-Ping Li, Chi Wang, Sprague SM, Ix JH, Chonchol M, Block G, Cheung AK, Raphael K, Gassman J, Wolf M, Fried LF, Isakova T, CKD Optimal Management with BInders and NicotinamidE (COMBINE) Study Group. Multi-center Study Evaluating Intra-renal Oxygenation and Fibrosis using MRI in Individuals with Advanced CKD. Kidney Int Reports DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ekir.2018.07.006
- Velasquez MT, Centron P, Barrows I, Dwivedi R, Raj DS. Gut Microbiota and Cardiovascular Uremic Toxicities. Toxin, 2018 http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6651/10/7/287
- Yang S, Ambrosius WT, Fine LJ, Bress AP, Cushman WC, Raj DS, Rehman S, Tamariz L. A New Modeling and Inference Approach for the SPRINT Trial Outcomes. Journal of the Society for Clinical Trials 2018 Jun;15(3):305-312.
- Roumelioti ME, Glew RH, Khitan ZJ, Rondon-Berrios H, Argyropoulos CP, Malhotra D, Raj DS, Agaba EI, Rohrscheib M, Murata GH, Shapiro JI, Tzamaloukas AH: Fluid balance concepts in medicine: Principles and practice. World J Nephrol 7:1-28, 2018
- Chung A and Li P, IV iron Therapy Induced Acute Hypophosphatemia in CKD patients. FR-PO602, ASN 2018.
- Raphael KL, Isakova T, Ix JH, Raj DS, wolf M, Fried LF, Gassman JJ, Larive B, Abbott, KC, Mendley SR, Block GA, Li P, Middleton JP, Sprague SM, Wesson DE, Cheung AK. CKD Polit studies consortium. A Multicenter, Randomized Pilot Study of oral Sodium Bicarbonate Supplementation in non- to mildly Acidotic CKD: BASE Pilot Study. SA-OR036, ASN, 2018.
- Nader MA, Campos RA, Hassan O, Cervantes CE, Correa R, Sharma P, Shafique R, Hamze O, Vo HQ, Gordon J, Li P. The Impact of gender on inpatient mortality of hypertensive Latino patients across CKD stage 3 to ESRD in the United States. TH-PO1045, ASN 2018.
- Nader MA, Campos RA, Hassan O, Cervantes CE, Correa R, Sharma P, Shafique R, Vo HQ, Hamze O, Li P, and Gordon J. The Impact of Gender in inpatient mortality of hypertensive patients with CKD 3 to ESRD in the US. TH=PO 1106, ASN 2018.
- Expanding Medicare Coverage to Include Lifetime Immunosuppression Drugs for Renal Transplant Recipients. Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement of George Washington University School of Nursing
- Tiu AC, Asico LD, Konkalmatt P, Zheng X, Cuevas S, Wang X, Mazhar M, Jose PA, Villar AM. Sorting nexin 19: A novel and key player in renal dopamine D1R regulation. Abstract 047. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension. Judged to be among the top 10 percent of the accepted abstracts presented at the AHA Council on Hypertension. Invited to be a poster presentation at the 2018 AHA Scientific Sessions in a Session titled “Best AHA Specialty Conferences: Hypertension 2018. Tiu AC received the Young Investigator Award, Chicago, IL.
- Kumar M, Asico L, Konkalmatt P, Freyberg Z, Jose PA, Armando I. Role of dopamine D2 receptors in the regulation of cell proliferation in renal injury. Abstract 052. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- De Miguel C, Saludes M, Asico LD, Latham PS, Offen D, Jose PA, Cuevas S. ND-13, a DJ-1-derived peptide, protects against the renal fibrosis and inflammation associated with unilateral ureter obstruction. Abstract 055. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Cuevas S, Asico LD, Jose PA, Konkalmatt P. Renal hydrogen peroxide prevents salt-sensitive hypertension. Abstract 062. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Asico LD, Villar VM, Bishop M, Gomes G, Mazhar M, Jose PA. NPFF receptors NPFF-R1 and NPFF-R2 in the kidney: A target for the negative control of sodium transport and blood pressure. Abstract 087. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Zheng X, Konkalmatt P, Asico L, Jose PA, Armando I. Salt resistance and renal Gpr83 function. Abstract 093. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Rozyyev S, Konkalmatt P, Asico L, Kumar M, Hunt J, Jose PA, Armando I. Rena-specific expression of human GRK4 R65L in mice lacking Grk4 increases blood pressure. Abstract 115. Oral presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Daley MG, Gildea JJ, Xu P, Schiermeyer KA, Yue W, Marshall SG, Jose PA, Felder RA. Development of an automated high throughput screen for GRK4 as potential novel therapeutics for treatment of hypertension and/or salt sensitivity. Abstract P256. Poster presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Xu P, Gildea JJ, Yue W, Jose PA, Felder RA. Renal proximal tubule cells from inverse salt sensitive individuals have lower basal but higher sodium stimulated ENaC compared to salt resistant individuals. Abstract P263. Poster presentation 2018 AHA Council on Hypertension, Chicago, IL.
- Haile H, Kumar M, Armando I, Jose, PA. Differential histone deacetylase expression in human renal proximal tubule cells carrying GRK4 65γL and SLC4A5 variants. STEP-UP Undergraduate Summer Research Symposium, NIDDK, Jul 29-August 2, 2018, 2018 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), Nov 14-17, 2018, Indianapolis, IN.
- Wang X, Ma C, Asico LD, Jose PA. Increased renal protein expressions of SLC4A4 and SLC4A5 in salt-sensitive C57Bl/6J mice, 2018 Kidney Week. Abstract PO323. 2018 Kidney Week, San Diego, CA.
- Villar VA, Asico LD, Wang X, Konkalmatt P, Yang J, Gomes J, Rozyyev S, Tiu AC, Cuevas S, Armando I, Jose PA. Salt Sensing & Salt Response of Renal Neuropeptide FF Receptor 2. Abstract D182 - 569.12, EB Meeting April 7, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Rozyyev S, Konkalmatt P, Villar VA, Asico LD, Kumar M, Hunt J, Jose PA, Armando I. Molecular mechanisms underlying the GRK4 65L-mediated hypertension in mice. Abstract E706 - 597.2, EB Meeting April 7, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Zhu G, Yu GT, Ren S, Asico LD, Jose PA, Wang X. The salt-sensitivity in C57Bl/6J mice is linked to increased renal protein expressions of SLC4A4 and SLC4A5.C344 - 533.11, EB Meeting April 7, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Asico LD, Hunt J, Wang X, Armando I, Wank SA, Yagnesh TH. Wang TC, Raj D, Jose PA. Minocycline Normalizes the Hypertension in Gastrin-/- Mice. Abstract C563 - 724.6 EB Meeting April 8, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Konkalmatt PR, Asico LD, Villar VA, Cuevas S, Armando I, and Jose PA. Gastrin Enhances the Sodium induced GLP-1 secretion in the L-Cells. Abstract C295 - 692.4EB Meeting April 8, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Zheng X, Asico LD, Armando I, Jose PA, and Konkalmatt PR. GPR37L1 Regulates the Expression and Function of NHE3 in Renal Proximal Tubule Cells. Abstract C295 -692.4EB Meeting April 9, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Kumar M, Konkalmatt P, Asico LD, Hunt J, Latham PS, Jose PA and Armando I. Differential Effects of Specific Deletion of the Dopamine D2 Receptor in Renal Proximal Tubules of Male and Female Mice. Abstract D60 - 864.10, EB Meeting April 9, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Rozyyev S, Crusan AP, Tiu AC, Jurgens JA, Quion JMB, Asico LD, Felder RA, Jose PA, and Villar VA. Tandem Requirement for Renal D1R and D5R Functionality. Abstract D16 – 862.18, EB Meeting April 9, 2019, Orlando, FL.
- Nader MA, Campos RA, Hassan O, Cervantes CE, Correa R, Sharma P, Shafique R, Vo HQ, Hamze O, Gordon J, and Li P. The Impact of Debility on Inpatient Mortality and Hospital costs of ESRD patients in the Unites State: a nationwide Study. TH-PO280, ASN 2018.
- Lisa Prince, Brian Y’Barbo, Jeffrey Mikita, Anna Howle, Scott Cohen, Oliver Lenz, Laura Maursetter, Sharon Maynard, Stephen Sozio, Amy Sussman, Christina Yuan. Breaking Bad News: A 2 Year, Multi-Center Simulation Exercise Assessing Renal Replacement Therapy and Kidney Biopsy Communication Skills. American Society of Nephrology Renal Week 2018, San Diego
- Rajnish Mehrotra, Daniel Cukor, Mark L Unruh, Tessa Rue, Patrick J Heagerty, Scott D Cohen, Laura Dember, Yaminette Diaz-Linhart, Amelia Dubovsky, Tom Greene, Nancy K Grote, Nancy G Kutner, Madhukar Trivedi, Davin Quinn, Nisha ver Halen, Steven D. Weisbord, Bessie A. Young, Paul L. Kimmel, S, Susan Hedayati. Comparative Efficacy of Therapies for Depression for Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis: A Trial of Sertraline vs. CBT for End Stage Renal Disease Patients with Depression (ASCEND). American Society of Nephrology Renal Week 2018, San Diego, Abstract selected for Late Breaking Clinical Trials Oral Session
- J.K.Melancon,K.Mahendran, M.Jagadeesan,R.Ranga,N.Koizumi. ABO incompatible deceased donor kidney transplantation –Time to remove the barrier American Society Of Transplant Surgeons – Winter Symposium,2018.
- J.K.Melancon,K.Mahendran, M.Jagadeesan,R.Ranga,N.Koizumi. ABO incompatible deceased donor kidney transplantation –Time to remove the barrier. American Transplant Congress, Annual meeting 2018. Society of Black Academic Surgeons
- J.K.Melancon,K.Mahendran, M.Jagadeesan,R.Ranga,N.Koizumi. . Bortezimab based induction decreases delayed graft function in high risk kidney transplantation. . Society of Black Academic Surgeons,New York,2018 – Oral Presentation.
- ,K.Mahendran, M.Jagadeesan,R.Ranga,N.Koizumi. ABO incompatible deceased donor kidney transplantation –Time to remove the barrier . Society of Black Academic Surgeons, Birmingham,Alabama,2018
- J.K.Melancon,K.Mahendran, M.Jagadeesan,R.Ranga,N.Koizumi. Bortezimab based induction decreases delayed graft function in high risk kidney transplantation. American Society Of Transplant Surgeons – Winter Symposium,2018
- J.K.Melancon,K.Mahendran, M.Jagadeesan,R.Ranga,N.Koizumi. . Bortezimab based induction decreases delayed graft function in high risk kidney transplantation. Oral Presentation at the American Transplant Congress, Boston, June 2019
- Ping Li, Annise Chung, Samir Patel and Vasilios Papademetriou. Hypertension Management in African Americans. book chapter of Hypertension Management: Current Practice and Applications of Landmark Trials. Edited by Vasilios Papademetriou, Emmanuel A Andradis, and Charalampia Geladari, 2018. Springer, ISBN-13:978-3319929453.
- Regunathan-Shenk R, Nobakht E, Cohen SD, Management of Non-Nephrotic Proteinuria, Invited Book Chapter, in Chronic Renal Disease, Kimmel PL and Rosenberg M, 2nd ed, in press
- Cohen SD, Appel GB. Approach to the Patient with Chronic Glomerular Diseases.Invited Book Chapter, in Chronic Renal Disease, Kimmel PL and Rosenberg M, 2nd ed,in press
- Cohen SD, Davison SN, Kimmel PL. Pain and Chronic Renal Disease, Invited Book Chapter, in Chronic Renal Disease, Kimmel PL and Rosenberg M, 2nd ed, in press
- Cohen SD, Kopp JB, Cathro H, Kimmel PL. Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection and Chronic Renal Disease, Invited Book Chapter, in Chronic Renal Disease, Kimmel PL and Rosenberg M, 2nd ed, in press
- Raj DS, Roberto Pecoits-Filho, Paul L Kimmel. Inflammation in CKD. Chronic Renal failure, edited by Paul Kimmel (2nd Edition)
- Manuel Velasquez, Sarah C Andrews, Raj DS. Protein energy metabolism in CKD. Chronic Renal failure, edited by Paul Kimmel (2nd Edition)
Future Direction of the Division
The division is committed to expanding the clinical service through innovative partnership with community and other institutions in the region and beyond. We will continue to look for opportunities to bring in new and novel therapies to our patients. We look forward to further improve the educational efforts and adding new training opportunities to our fellows through establishment of a transplant nephrology fellowship and point of care ultrasound training. The division has an impressive research portfolio, but the goal will be to get the junior faculty members to submit training grants to NIH and also hire established researchers to expand the scope of research and train future generation of researchers.