The online Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) requires completion of 45 credit hours, divided into two components:
- MLS Courses (29 credit hours)
- Clinical Practicum Courses (16 credit hours)
Admitted students complete required courses either on a part-time or full-time basis. Courses in the major (Phase I) are designed to broaden the student's foundation in the sciences in preparation for the clinical phase of the program (Phase II). All courses are taught online, with the exception of the four months of clinical practica.
To maintain the academic integrity of the program, the GW MLS program requires that students use a web-based remote proctoring system called Remote Proctor NOW in every MLS-designated course throughout the program. Additional information on this system from Software Secure, Inc. can be found at this address: http://www.softwaresecure.com/product/remote-proctor-now/. See below the IT requirements to use Remote Proctor Now.
The clinical practica (Phase II) are usually taken on a full-time basis. Students are typically in a clinical laboratory eight hours per day (daytime hours), five days per week. Admitted students must be able to fulfill the necessary time requirement for the practica.
Coursework at GW (45 credit hours)
No previous transfer credit or work experience may be considered for these required classes.
- MLS 4115: Parasitology & Mycology (1 credit)
- MLS 4123: Clinical Microbiology I (3 credits)
- MLS 4124: Clinical Microbiology II (2 credits)
- MLS 4128: Hematology I (2 credits)
- MLS 4129: Hematology II (2 credits)
- MLS 4141: Immunology & Serology (3 credits)
- MLS 4145: Clinical Biochemistry I (3 credits)
- MLS 4146: Clinical Biochemistry II (3 credits)
- MLS 4150: Immunohematology (3 credits)
- MLS 4151: Molecular Diagnostics (3 credits)
- MLS 4158: Lab Mangement and Operations (3 credits)
- MLS 4159: Capstone (1 credit)
- MLS 4160: Blood Banking Practicum (4 credits)
- MLS 4161: Clinical Biochemistry Practicum (4 credits)
- MLS 4162: Hematology Practicum (2 credits)
- MLS 4164: Clinical Microbiology Practicum (4 credits)
- MLS 4165: Urinalysis Practicum (1 credit)
- MLS 4166: Coagulation Practicum (1 credit)