The blended BSHS with a major in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) is a degree completion where you transfer in 60 credits from a regionally accredited college or university and then complete 60 credit hours at GW for a total of 120 credit hours divided into four degree components:
- General Education (38 credit hours)
- Electives (22 credit hours)
- MLS Major Courses (54 credit hours)
- Health Sciences Distance Education (6 credit hours)
Students must complete at least 60 credit hours of GW coursework to meet the academic residency requirements for the online program.
Courses in the major (Phase I) are designed to broaden the student's foundation in the sciences in preparation for the clinical phase of the program (Phase II). All courses are taught online, with the exception of the four months of clinical practica and labs completed at the Virginia Science and Technology Campus in Ashburn, VA.
The clinical practica (Phase II) are usually taken on a full-time basis. Students are typically in a clinical laboratory eight hours per day (daytime hours), five days per week. Admitted students must be able to fulfill the necessary time requirement for the practica.
Transferable Coursework (60 credit hours)
For an assessment on the transferability of your previous coursework, please contact the program office. Coursework will be evaluated for transfer using the following criteria:
- Academic in nature
- Completed at a regionally accredited institution
- Earned with a C or better (C- grades do not transfer)
General Education (38 credit hours)
- English Composition (3 credits)
- Biology (lecture and ‘hands-on’ lab) (8 credits)
- Microbiology (lecture and ‘hands-on’ lab) (4 credits)
- Chemistry (lecture and ‘hands-on’ lab) (8 credits)
- Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry (3 credits)
- College Algebra, Statistics, or higher (3 credits)
- Humanities and/or Social Sciences (9 credits)**
**These courses are needed to satisfy the graduation requirements. They can be transferred in during admissions from your transfer coursework, taken as part of your GW MLS curriculum credits (additional Health Sciences Distance Education Courses), or transferred in after becoming a student in the program.
Electives (22 credit hours)
Academic credit may be awarded for ACE-recognized military courses, as appropriate.
Coursework at GW (60 credit hours; 3 credits each, unless noted)
No previous transfer credit or work experience may be considered for these required classes.
All of the didactic courses (Phase I) in the MLS programs are taught online, with the exception of the face-to-face labs, which are taught in Asnhbun, VA. The lab courses typically take place on weekday evenings and students will need to make sure to keep this time free in order to complete the labs. The clinical practicum is also taken in-person, at an assigned location. At a part-time pace, students can complete the BSHS in 7 semesters and 5 semesters at a full-time pace. All of this will vary depending on how many credits a student takes per semester and outside of school obligations.
MLS Required Didactic Online Courses (29 credits):
- MLS 4158: Laboratory Management Operations (3 credit)
- MLS 4141: Immunology & Serology (3 credits)
- MLS 4145: Clinical Biochemistry I (3 credits)
- MLS 4146: Clinical Biochemistry II (3 credits)
- MLS 4123: Clinical Microbiology I (3 credits)
- MLS 4124: Clinical Microbiology II (2 credits)
- MLS 4150: Immunohematology (3 credits)
- MLS 4128: Hematology I (2 credits)
- MLS 4129: Hematology II (2 credits)
- MLS 4151: Molecular Diagnostics (3 credits)
- MLS 4159: Capstone Seminar (1 credit)
Face-to-Face Ashburn Labs (taken concurrently with didactic online courses; 9 credits):
- MLS 4214: Clinical Microbiology Laboratory I (1 credit)
- MLS 4224: Clinical Microbiology Laboratory II (1 credit)
- MLS 4228: Clinical Hematology Laboratory I (1 credit)
- MLS 4229: Clinical Hematology II Laboratory (1 credit)
- MLS 4250: Immunohematology Laboratory (1 credit)
- MLS 4251: Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (1 credit)
- MLS 4215: Parasitology and Mycology Laboratory (1 credit)
- MLS 4245: Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory I (1 credit)
- MLS 4255: Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory II (1 credit)
Required General Education Online Courses (6 credits):
- HSCI 2112W: Writing in the Health Sciences (3 credits)
- HSCI 4112W: Research and Writing in the Health Sciences (3 credits)
Required MLS Practicum Courses (15 credits):
- MLS 4160: Blood Bank Practicum (3 credits)
- MLS 4161: Clinical Biochemistry Practicum (4 credits)
- MLS 4162: Hematology Practicum (2 credits)
- MLS 4165: Urinalysis Practicum (1 credit)
- MLS 4166: Coagulation Practicum (1 credit)