2018 Program Dates: May 29 - August 3 (10 weeks)
The George Washington Summer Program Advancing Research on Cancer (GW-SPARC) engages diverse undergraduates in a mentored summer research experience at the George Washington University (GW) Cancer Center. Students will live and work in the heart of D.C., just blocks from national monuments, museums, and entertainment.
Students will be matched with outstanding researchers at the Cancer Center in:
- Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy
- Cancer Biology (targeted therapies and epigenetics)
- Cancer Engineering and Technology
This summer program fosters active engagement in cutting-edge research, exposure to contemporary cancer research techniques, understanding of health disparities and impact of cancer in different communities, and preparation for research careers.
Participants attend weekly workshops and seminars focused on cancer research and research skills (see sample program schedule). At the end of the summer, all students participate in a poster session with other undergraduate researchers.
The program will provide $4,000 for 10 weeks participation, paid in two installments upon arrival. Additional funds up to $500 will be provided for travel to/from GW. Students are encouraged to stay in GW housing ($2,520 for 10 weeks). A housing allowance of $1,000 reduces the cost of housing to $1,520, which can be charged against the salary.
Eligible applicants include:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are individuals from groups that are underrepresented in the biomedical sciences. See descriptions in the Notice of NIH's Interest in Diversity.
- Undergraduates with strong research interest; preference will be given to sophomores and juniors. Seniors graduating in 2018 are not eligible for this program.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until slots are filled. We expect the program will be filled by mid-April, 2018.
The application package includes:
- Application, including statement of interest
- Contact information for two faculty recommenders
- Unofficial transcripts
Once you submit the application, your recommenders will be contacted automatically with a request for their electronic recommendation.