Due to the institution's response and guidelines to COVID-19 and the DC HAPP 2020 Summer Experience will take place virtually. Admitted scholars, please refer to the Scholar Participation Contract for updates and changes.
- Monday, July 6, 2020 - Thursday, July 23, 2020: DC HAPP Summer Experience
- Thursday, July 23, 2020: DC HAPP Summer Experience Closing Ceremony
- On-going: Relationship with the GW community maintained
About DC HAPP
DC HAPP is a pipeline program coordinated by the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Diversity and Inclusion to increase access to healthcare careers and foster diversity in the medical field. Sixteen rising 12th-grade students attending Washington, DC area public schools are selected to participate in the four-week summer experience based on their passion and potential for medicine. Students participate in a four-week summer experience and clinical shadowing.
DC HAPP scholars gain exposure to healthcare professions, learn hands-on medical skills, develop public health projects, and prepare for college applications and college life. Medical and public health students, physicians, and other medical professionals serve as mentors, facilitators, and teachers.
DC HAPP seeks to:
- Identify, recruit, and nurture talented District of Columbia area public school students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine who have an interest in pursuing careers in the healthcare professions
- Establish connections between healthcare professionals community, including, but not limited to, physicians, physician assistants, nurses, physical therapists, and medical researchers
- Provide support and resources for program scholars to achieve post-secondary academic success leading to professional careers in the healthcare field
- Build relationships between scholars and the George Washington University community
DC HAPP Articles
- DC HAPP Offers High School Students Vision for the Future (2018 cohort)
- DC HAPP Scholars Graduate (2017 cohort)
- Local Rising High School Seniors Get Hands-on Approach to Medicine (2017 cohort)
- Exploring the Potential of Medicine (2016 cohort)
- A Path to the Future (2015 cohort)
- Preparing Students for Health Care Careers (2009 & 2010 cohorts)
- 2020 - 2021 DC HAPP Scholar Application
- Scholar applications are closed.
- 2020 - 2021 DC HAPP Mentor Application (GW medical and MPH students)
- Mentor applications are closed.
The George Washington University
School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Ross Hall, Suite 708
2300 Eye Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037