2018 Program Calendar
Saturday, June 23, 2018 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Scholar and Family Orientation
July 2-6 9 a.m.-5 p.m. DC HAPP-week 1 (no session on July 4th)
July 9-13 9 a.m.-5 p.m. DC HAPP-week 2
July 16-20 9 a.m.-5 p.m. DC HAPP-week 3
July 23-26 9 a.m.-5 p.m. DC HAPP-week 4
Thursday, July 26 DC HAPP Summer Experience Closing Ceremony
After Summer Experience Clinical Shadowing
- School grade level
- Current student enrolled in the 10th or 11th grade at a public school or public charter school in the District of Columbia area
- Will be promoted to the next grade level for the following academic year
- In good academic standing
- Able to attend DC HAPP orientation and all days of the DC HAPP summer experience
- Does not have other responsibilities (employment or activities) that conflict with DC HAPP Summer Experience
- Will participate in Clinical Shadowing after the Summer Experience
- Able to travel to the George Washington University Foggy Bottom campus
- Interested in pursuing a profession in the healthcare field
- Will participate in Clinical Shadowing after DC HAPP Summer Experience
- Will commit to maintain contact and follow up with mentor and program staff until high school graduation (1-2 academic years) and beyond
- Positive attitude with desire to learn and grow
Stipend and Conduct
Each scholar earns a stipend from the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Diversity and Inclusion for the successful completion of DC HAPP. Successful completion means attending and participating in all of DC HAPP with a positive learning attitude.
Disorderly conduct, substance use, bullying, and non-compliance with reasonable staff instruction will not be tolerated. Absences are not permitted. Scholars in violation of the DC HAPP Code of Conduct will be expelled from the program and will not be eligible for the DC HAPP scholar stipend.
The application is an Adobe PDF file. You can download the program that opens Adobe PDF for free here: Adobe Reader (free).
- Scholar Application: 7 pages
- Academic Evaluation (teacher)
- Evaluation (unrelated adult)
- Official high school transcript
The DC HAPP application is available from February 1-March 16, 2018. All parts of the application must be received at the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Diversity & Inclusion by Friday, March 16, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applicants will be notified of their status in mid-April.
We are seeking to create a diverse cohort of students who can and will pursue a career in healthcare. We encourage applicants to explore other summer opportunities in addition to applying to DC HAPP as we receive significantly more applications than available spots in the DC HAPP cohort.