Applying for Admission
All applicants must complete the GW Online Application.
A non-refundable application fee of $75 is required. This fee is waived only for the following applicants:
- U.S. military personnel who have been on active duty within three years of submitting their application for admission
- GW alumni (those holding a GW degree or graduate certificate)
- Current degree or graduate certificate candidates at GW
- Current McNair Program Scholars (a completed Certification of McNair Program Participation and Application Fee Waiver form must be submitted with your application)
- Fall Entry: July 15
- Spring Entry: November 15
General Admission Requirements
1. Resume - Attach your current resume or CV. Active-duty military do not need to submit a resume - upload an unofficial JST or CCAF.
2. Official Transcripts
Please submit official military transcripts (e.g. JST, CCAF).
Please submit an official transcript from every college and university you attended, whether or not a degree was earned.
Please request electronic delivery of an official digital version to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The George Washington University
Health Sciences Programs
Office of Admissions
2100 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.,
Washington, DC 20037
One letter of recommendation is required for undergraduate students. The recommendations must be submitted through the GW Online Application. Letters of recommendation should be from:
- Individuals who served in a supervisory capacity for you and who can strongly attest to your work ethic, and/or
- Academic instructors who can strongly attest to your academic ability
Recommendations are not acceptable from family members and friends.
4. Statement of Purpose
Please include a 250-500 word essay describing your reasons for undertaking study at the George Washington University, and your academic objectives, career goals, and related qualifications (especially your international experience), including collegiate, professional, and community activities, relevant to your program of interest. Include any substantial accomplishments not already mentioned on the application form.
5. English Language Test
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are required to submit official test scores for either Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Pearsons Test of English (PTE) Academic or the academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The following are the minimum scores for admission consideration:
- TOEFL: 250 computer-based or 100 Internet-based
- PTE: overall score of 68
- IELTS: an overall band score of 7.0, with no individual band score below 6.
Applicants may be exempted from the English Language Test on a case-by-case basis. The advisor should contact the Admissions Office on behalf of the student for a review. All guaranteed admission agreement students are exempted from the English Language requirement.
Program-Specific Admission Requirements
CHA Degree Program
- Completion of bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university prior to matriculation into the program.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Relevant work experience in a healthcare or correctional setting
Eligibility for Active-Duty Military Discounted Tuition Rate
A discounted tuition rate is available for active-duty service members in our distance education Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) programs. Please see the Tuition & Financial Aid page for more information on program rates. In order to receive this rate, your program must receive the following documents during the admission process. If your status changes during your program, please contact your GW program advisor.
For students on active-duty, we need:
(a) Copy of Enlistment Contract AND
(b) Statement from the Personnel Section (e.g. S-1 Army, N-1 Navy) providing current employment and end date of the enlistment contract. (See example)
For active-duty personnel who will retire or separate before they complete their program, the discounted rate is granted during the enrollment period that aligns with the contract. Students will be returned to the standard DE rate once they retire or separate.
For Reserve and National Guard who have been activated, we need:
(a) Orders for Mobilization OR
(b) Orders for Active Duty for Training (Annual Training not included)
For Reserve and National Guard, the discounted rate is granted during the enrollment period that aligns with the orders. Students will be returned to the standard DE rate once the orders expire.
Note: Orders must align with the enrollment period to be eligible. For example, orders for active status for a few days of the semester would not be eligible for the discounted rate during that semester. Please contact the program office if you have questions.
Non-Degree Seeking Applicants
If you wish to take an individual course offered by this program, please contact the program directly.
For more information about transferring in credits as an incoming student, please refer to the Curriculum page for the program to which you are applying.