This webpage describes the admission process for applicants that are not current GW or Children's National Health System faculty.
Applying for Admission
All applicants must complete the GW Online Application.
- Spring Entry: December 18
- Summer Entry: April 27
- Fall Entry: August 7
A non-refundable application fee of $80 is required. This fee is waived only for the following applicants:
- U.S. military personnel who have been on active duty within three years of submitting their application for admission
- GW alumni (those holding a GW degree or graduate certificate)
- Current degree or graduate certificate candidates at GW
- Current McNair Program Scholars (a completed Certification of McNair Program Participation and Application Fee Waiver form must be submitted with your application)
General Admission Requirements
1. Completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university prior to matriculation into the program
2. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
Attach your current resume or CV.
Active-duty military do not need to submit a resume. Attach current orders.
Two letters of recommendation are required and must be submitted through the GW Online Application. Recommendations must be on letterhead and signed by the recommender. The letters must be from:
- Individuals who served in a supervisory capacity for you, and who can strongly attest to your work ethic, and/or
- Academic instructors who can strongly attest to your academic ability.
Recommendations are not acceptable from family members and friends.
5. Statement of Purpose
Please include a 250-500 word essay describing your reasons for undertaking study at The George Washington University, and your academic objectives, career goals, and related qualifications, including collegiate, professional, and community activities, relevant to your program of interest. Include any substantial accomplishments not already mentioned on the application form.
6. Official Transcripts
Please submit an official transcript from every college and university you attended, whether or not a degree was earned, to the following address:
The George Washington University
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Online Processing Center
1415 W 22nd Street
Oak Brook, IL 60523
7. English Language Test
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are required to submit official test scores for either Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Pearsons Test of English (PTE) Academic or the academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The following are the minimum scores for admission consideration:
- TOEFL: 250 computer-based or 100 Internet-based
- PTE: overall score of 68
- IELTS: an overall band score of 7.0, with no individual band score below 6.
International applicants who meet the following conditions may be considered for admission without submitting TOEFL, PTE or IELTS scores:
- They are a citizen of countries where English is the official language (as identified by GW ISO list of Exempt countries) OR
- They hold at least a bachelor degree from a country where English is the official language as well as language of instruction OR
- They hold at least a bachelor degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting agency
Graduate Certificate in CTR
Applicants applying to the Graduate Certificate in CTR must have successfully (B or higher) completed a graduate level course in Epidemiology and a course in Biostatistics before entering the program. Courses must have been completed at a regionally accredited institution.
Non-Degree Seeking Applicants
If you wish to take an individual course offered by this program, please contact the program directly.
For more information about transferring in credits as an incoming student, please refer to a Curriculum page for the program which you are applying.