Applying for Admission
All applicants must complete the GW Online Application.
- Spring Entry: December 18
- Summer Entry: April 8
- Fall Entry: August 7
A non-refundable application fee of $80 is required. This fee is waived only for the following applicants:
- U.S. military personnel who have been on active duty within three years of submitting their application for admission
- GW alumni (those holding a GW degree or graduate certificate)
- Current degree or graduate certificate candidates at GW
- Current McNair Program Scholars (a completed Certification of McNair Program Participation and Application Fee Waiver form must be submitted with your application)
General Admission Requirements
Attach your current resume or CV.
Active-duty military do not need to submit a resume. Attach current orders.
2. Official Transcripts
Please submit official military transcripts (e.g. JST, CCAF). Please submit an official transcript from every college and university you attended, whether or not a degree was earned, to the following address:
The George Washington University
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Online Processing Center
1415 W 22nd Street
Oak Brook, IL 60523
One letter of recommendation is required for undergraduate students and two letters of recommendation for graduate students. The recommendations must be submitted through the GW Online Application. Letters of recommendation should be from:
- Individuals who served in a supervisory capacity for you and who can strongly attest to your work ethic, and/or
- Academic instructors who can strongly attest to your academic ability
Recommendations are not acceptable from family members and friends.
Recommendations must be on letterhead and signed by the recommender. It is helpful if the recommender includes specific information addressing the applicants oral and written English skills.
4. Statement of Purpose
Please include a 250-500 word essay describing your reasons for undertaking study at The George Washington University, and your academic objectives, career goals, and related qualifications, including collegiate, professional, and community activities, relevant to your program of interest. Include any substantial accomplishments not already mentioned on the application form.
Graduate Admission Requirements
1. Completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university prior to matriculation into the program
2. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
3. Relevant clinical research or related experience in healthcare
4. English Language Test
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are required to submit official test scores for either Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Pearsons Test of English (PTE) Academic or the academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The following are the minimum scores for admission consideration:
- TOEFL: 250 computer-based or 100 Internet-based
- PTE: overall score of 68
- IELTS: an overall band score of 7.0, with no individual band score below 6.
International applicants who meet the following conditions may be considered for admission without submitting TOEFL, PTE or IELTS scores:
- They are a citizen of countries where English is the official language (as identified by GW ISO list of Exempt countries) OR
- They hold at least a bachelor degree from a country where English is the official language as well as language of instruction OR
- They hold at least a bachelor degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting agency
Eligibility for Active-Duty Military Discounted Tuition Rate
A discounted tuition rate is available for active-duty service members in our distance education Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) programs. Please see the Tuition & Financial Aid page for more information on program rates. In order to receive this rate, your program must receive the following documents during the admission process. If your status changes during your program, please contact your GW program advisor.
For students on active-duty, we need:
(a) Copy of Enlistment Contract AND
(b) Statement from the Personnel Section (e.g. S-1 Army, N-1 Navy) providing statement of employment and end date of the enlistment contract.
For active-duty personnel who will retire or separate before they complete their program, the discounted rate is granted during the enrollment period that aligns with the contract. Students will be returned to the standard DE rate once they retire or separate.
For Reserve and National Guard who have been activated, we need:
(a) Orders for Mobilization OR
(b) Orders for Active Duty for Training (Annual Training not included)
Non-Degree Seeking Applicants
If you wish to take an individual course offered by this program, please contact the program directly.
For more information about transferring in credits as an incoming student, please refer to the Curriculum page for the program which you are applying.