The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Chemsitry for Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) requires completion of 19 credit hours. Completion of the certificate qualifies the graduate to take the Technologist in Chemistry examination offered by national certifying agencies.
Admitted students complete required courses either on a part-time or full-time basis. Courses in the major are designed to broaden the student's foundation in the sciences in preparation for the clinical phase of the program. All courses are taught online, with the exception of the clinical practicums.
The clinical practicums are usually taken on a full-time basis. Students are typically in a clinical laboratory eight hours per day (daytime hours), five days per week. Admitted students must be able to fulfill the necessary time requirement for the practicums.
Coursework at GW (19 credit hours; 3 credits each, unless noted)
- MLS 4118: Laboratory Operations (1 credit)
- MLS 4141: Immunology & Serology
- MLS 4145: Clinical Biochemistry I
- MLS 4155: Clinical Biochemistry II (2 credits)
- MLS 4151: Molecular Diagnostics
- MLS 4161: Clinical Biochemistry Practicum (4 credits)
- MLS 4140: Clinical Laboratory Management
Clinical rotations are completed at an approved clinical site and vary in length, lasting between 1 to 4 weeks each.