We appreciate your interest in GW SMHS. We do not have seats available and as such will not be accepting applications for Transfer/Advanced Standing for the 2013 cycle.
Decisions about the 2014 cycle will be made late Fall 2013 and will be reflected here. Please check back then for more information.
Advanced Standing Application Process
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences will only accept transfer applicants from accredited U.S. or Canadian allopathic medical schools and osteopathic medical schools. We will not accept applications from students attending foreign medical schools.
Applying for Second Year Position
- Osteopathic Students: Students currently in osteopathic medical schools must be in Year 2 and submit passing scores for the USMLE. They will be repeating the second year if applying for the second year position in our program.
- Allopathic Students: Students currently in allopathic medical schools in year 1 or Year 2 may apply for the second year position and do not submit USMLE scores.
Applying for Third Year Position
- Applicants from osteopathic and allopathic medical schools must submit passing scores for the USMLE.
The number of second or third year positions varies from year to year. Some years there may be no availability. Applicants, if qualified, can apply specifically for the second or for the third year, or they may express a willingness to consider a position in either year.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a U.S. or Canadian citizen or U.S. permanent resident
- Must have completed a bachelors degree from a U.S. or Canadian college or university.
- Must have completed 8 semester hours (6 lecture and 2 lab) in each of the following fields: Biology, Physics, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry and 6 semester hours of English.
- Must be in good standing and be eligible to reenter medical/osteopathic school, if your education has been interrupted. If you cannot meet this requirement, we cannot accept your application for transfer.
- Cannot be granted for Physician Assistant, Chiropractic, Dental, or Podiatric programs or to those already granted an M.D. degree.
Application, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation, transcripts with medical coursework, and course descriptions may be submitted to our office. These materials may be submitted to our office between February 1 and April 1 for entry in the fall. All application materials must be received by April 1. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
A small number of applicants may be offered interviews in the early summer.